Online Grief Resources 

Counselor & Therapist Directories

The three organizations listed below maintain websites for counseling professionals to pay to advertise their services. The credentials of the professions were verified when originally listed, but it is still recommended that you confirm accreditation before you start working with a counselor. 


Online Communities & Resources

Online grief resources offer education, online support groups and the ability to search for local groups. These sites can convey valuable information, but should not be considered a substitute for professional grief and mental health care. 

  • Grief Watch ( - Resources for bereaved families and professional caregivers. This site provides you with resources, memorial products and links that can support you through your loss. 


Resources for Children & Teenagers

Like the resources for adults listed above, the following resources are not meant to be a replacement for professional care. It is advised that any material provided to a child or teenager be reviewed first by their parent or guardian prior to use. 

  • Family Lives On ( – Supports children and teens whose mother or father has died by continuing traditions they shared with their deceased parent. The program is national and available for free to children and teens between three and 18.  



  • Hospices ( – Hospices provide end of life care to patients, but they also provide grief support services to their patients’ family members and to others in their communities.  
  • Hospitals – Some hospitals provide grief support groups and may be able to recommend local counselors and organizations. 
  • Funeral Homes – Funeral homes can also be a resource to find grief support in the communities they serve. 
  • Graduate School and Seminaries – Experienced graduate and doctoral students training to be counselors can provide grief counseling. Their work is supervised by licensed professionals, and rates are usually significantly prorated. Counseling can be offered to students of the school and/or to the community.
  • Insurance Provider – Counseling services could be a part of your health insurance coverage. Contact your insurance provider to inquire about this. 
  • Employer’s EAP – If your employer has an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), short-term counseling or recommendations for counselors may be available to you. 
  • Other Recommendations – Family members, friends, school counselors and religious leaders may also be able to offer recommendations.